Sunday 6 July 2014

Cats Protection Open Day

Honey - my favourite cat at The Centre
If you're wondering how the six week bootcamp is going - don't worry, I'm still going to do it but after hurting my back last week (unrelated, I might add! I got out of the car awkwardly I think) and with going to Belfast next week, I've decided I will restart it when I get back so I have a full six weeks with no breaks, to keep it consistent. But I will be doing it and posting updates weekly to (hopefully) show my progress!

In other news though, it was the Open Day of the branch of Cats Protection where I volunteer yesterday. My parents came down especially (they love cats!) and I even managed to convince my husband to go ( who doesn't love cats). The Centre wants to renovate the whole site so this was a fundraising day, as well as an opportunity for people to meet the cats with a view to hopefully re-homing some of them!

There was a great array of stalls, with tombola, raffle, bric-a-brac, homemade cakes and cards and a BBQ with seriously good cheeseburgers! There was also ferret racing, a new one on me! Ferrets are seriously weird - but also strangely cute. The handlers brought the ferrets round before the races for a cuddle and to introduce them to the crowds. Close up their faces are cute but their bodies are just weird. Unfortunately after showing intial promise, the ferret I bet on (Haribo - what a class name!) decided to have a rest halfway through and let me down, but I still got a free pencil just for entering. What more could you want?!



An amazing homemade donated cake


Yummy cheeseburgers!






There was also a stage for bands and acts, some which were good, some which were downright weird, but overall a good background noise for a busy day, and lovely weather! It was really busy throughout the two hours we were there, which was really promising for hopefully a good fundraising haul. I spoke to a few of the volunteers and there was good interest in the cats too - with 8 reserved pending home-checks. Fingers crossed they all go to loving new homes!


Ferret Racing

I won three times on the tombola - a bottle of Bucks Fizz, some body lotion and box of chocolates. Can't be bad! My mum and dad won a bottle of port too, and some sweeties. I think between us all including food and entry fee we donated around £50, so after the Open Day, we headed back to mine for a chicken roast, and a few glasses of wine to celebrate a job well done and relax!

No comments:

Post a Comment