Wednesday 22 January 2014

Cleaning Schedule

I'm trying, as much as I can, to be a better housewife while also having a full time job, if that's not a contradiction in terms! I have always done things right at the last second, when they desperately need doing, ie cleaning the kitchen or bathroom. Yes, I know, I'm a scutter. It'd get done eventually though, but it'd take me forever, because I'd left it so long. Over an hour to clean the tiniest kitchen on record when really, if I'd already kept on top of the dishes and everything, a quick wipe of the surfaces and mopping the floor would be all that'd be needed. Procrastination is my biggest forté though and I always found something better to do, like sitting on my backside on Pinterest, pinning cleaning schedules... so I decided after seeing a few that looked manageable, I'd make my own, suited to my house. Some of them had loading the dishwasher for example, a luxury we don't have, or putting on a load of washing during the week, which I do all at the weekend so I can take all my wet washing to the launderette. That's been a godsend by the way -  as we have no outside space and a tiny flat - getting everything dried in one go has really helped our damp and humid issue. Plus, it means we don't constantly have wet washing hanging around all the time. Anyway, I digress.

This is the basic cleaning schedule I have come up with. Obviously it's not all encompassing, but some things don't need to be done as regularly. I'll just incorporate them as I go. But hopefully this will at least help me to keep on top of the basic things, if indeed I actually stick to it.


It's multicoloured, of course, so this will hopefully spur me along a little. Boy do I love rainbow coloured stuff :)

Just a little bit of explaining -  we have a little rubbish bin in the kitchen that gets full pretty quickly. What we were doing (bleurgh, I know), was having a big black rubbish bin in the hallway and just putting stuff in there, while the little rubbish bin just sat there full. From now on, no black rubbish bags, just the little swing-bin liners and I'll take this out every morning or as needed if it's not full. I always sit and have a cup of coffee in the morning before I leave for work, so that's why "rinse mug" is a separate thing from doing the dishes, which'll be an evening thing after I have made dinner. I think the rest is self-explanatory, with all the clothes related stuff on Sundays as this is launderette day so everything will be washed, dried and ready for putting away. I only iron work stuff for the week - so 5 shirts and 2 pairs of trousers for Marty and whatever dress/cardigan/trousers/blouse combos I'll be wearing. Generally 2 Saturdays a month I am at football, so changing the bedding is every two ish weeks or less, which I think is acceptable. I often forget how long our bedding has been on to be honest. I really am a terrible wife.

I wonder how long I'll stick to it? I did do the dusting today, as it's Wednesday, so far so good! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment